Today in church I felt something I've never experienced before. It was a feeling that is almost indescribable. As the preacher introduced the sermon, I began to listen.
He began speaking on the word HOPE. Now my ears began to perk up at this point because I have a friend that is living by the word HOPE this year. All during the first part of the service, I kept thinking to myself how I wished my friend was there to hear this. I just KNEW this service was meant for HER. Now you see, this is a problem I have (first step in getting help is admitting the proble, right?). Everytime a sermon is underway, I begin wondering WHO God is trying to speak to today. One Sunday I thought this friend is going through some financial problems would really benefit from that message, and another on dealing with marital problems, etc. Well, the past two Sundays I've acknowledged the problem and redirected my thought process. I prayed, "Lord, speak to ME. My friend is not sitting here, and I am, so maybe I can share this sermon with her later. But for right now, speak to ME. Show ME what you want ME to gain from this sermon. Not anyone else." Just as I was praying that prayer I got this hungry feeling inside. Not the kind of hungar that you normally feel around 11:30 on a Sunday morning that causes your stomach to rumble. But the kind of hungar that can only be filled by the Holy Spirit and God alone.
I sat there anxiously grasping every word that came from my pastor's mouth. The preacher began talking so fast, almost too fast, and I wanted to make sure I processed every single word. I felt like every word was very precious and would go to waste if I did not catch it. So there I set, hungry and yearning to be filled with His message. All I could do was close my eyes, shut out all distractions, and let those beautiful words pour into my heart. It was like I could feel God's arms wrap around ME, His child. I no longer heard my pastor, I heard God, via my pastor. As the sermon came to a close, and the invitation time (wouldn't be a Baptist church without and invitational time) came, I couldn't stand up and sing as we were instructed. I was in AWE of God and what just happened. All I could do was sit on the pew and be still. I begin thanking God for reminding me that He gives the pastor words to speak that are meant for ME. I need to be able to take something home from it. That is exactly what I did.
I am learning to be still, and let God speak to me. The sermon was on how the church PRAYED for Peter. Because of there prayers, God listened and sent an angel to walk Peter out of jail, past the guards, and through the gates. The people were in disbelief when they heard Peter knocking on their door where they were still praying (Acts 12:1-19). Now how does this relate to hope? The church, and Peter, were in a time of distress. They begin praying and starting having hope. Hope is where there is a praying church. Because of prayer, you are able to have hope. Hope to move on, hope to get out, hope in a time of sorrow, and a hope that gives a glimpse of things to come.
So this leads me to another goal. I have plans to be a physically and mentally healthier person (and successfully doing so). There's just one IMPORTANT area I have not yet put on the list for improvement. That is my spiritual well being, my relationship with Christ. My goal is to pray MORE. Not just the usual nightly, or pop-up prayers that I'm already doing. But to really CRY OUT in prayer to my heavenly Father, Leader, and Healer.
Now, I just ate my healthy dinner, I'm still working on my positive attitude, now I am off to have a LONG quiet time with my Savior!
No comments:
Post a Comment