Happy Reading... and Happy New Year!
"I grew up knowing I wanted to be a teacher. If you looked at my childhood playroom you would notice a student desk, dry erase board trimmed with markers and erasers, and even a used overhead projector that a family member snagged from their workplace. My younger sister and the neighborhood kids allowed me to be their “teacher”. We spent many afternoons and summers “playing school”.
My dream became true in July 2009 when I walked into a classroom with a fresh coat of white paint on the walls and 30 empty desks. I remember standing there that day with a big smile on my face thinking, “This is it! This is MY classroom. I, yes I, will be the teacher.” A few weeks later, after the bulletin boards were decorated and plenty of notes were taken at staff meetings, twenty-four skeptical 7th graders entered my classroom. I consider myself very blessed to be able to work with the people at Byram Middle School my first year. I team taught with four of the most unique teachers who helped me to better manage students and communicate with parents. The building principal, David Campbell, is one of my educational role models. Mr. Campbell is a man of few words, but when he speaks, people listen. I believe because he is quick to listen and slow to speak, he is well respected by his staff and students. Because of Byram Middle School’s administrative staff and my team members, I learned so much my first year in the working world. For that I am abundantly grateful.
The following summer God had other plans for my husband and me. We relocated back to our hometown due to job opportunities for my husband. I landed a job at Alexander Junior High School in Brookhaven, Mississippi. Today, I am in my third year of teaching. This is my second year teaching 7th grade math on the same hall that I once was a junior high student. I frequently collaborate with my co-worker, Mrs. Kirk, who was also my former junior high math teacher. Together we design creative activities to challenge the students at our school. Mrs. Kirk still has the same bubbly and eager spirit that I remember her to have when I was her student. I try to carry out this same passion for math and education in my classroom.
Since working at my dream job as an educator, I have earned the Star Teacher of the District award for having the most student growth on the Mississippi Curriculum Test in 2010 with 40% growth. I was also nominated 7th grade Favorite Teacher by faculty and students in 2011. I have been nominated to work on several committees such as the Teacher Advisory Committee that meets with the superintendent monthly, the School Improvement Plan Committee to ensure we improve test scores, and a steering committee to prepare for the district’s SACS/CASI AdvanceED Accreditation.
In the spring of 2011, Brookhaven School District hired a new superintendent, Dr. Lisa Karmacharya. Dr. Karmacharya has stated three main goals for our district: Consistency, Communication, and Leaders for Learners. I have a passion for education and a passion for Brookhaven Public Schools. Because of this, I have taken Dr. Karmacharya’s goals to heart, particularly the third goal. I would like to be the best leader that I can be; whether that is in my classroom, being a teacher leader, or being a building principal. Because of this common desire that I share with my superintendent, I want to be as educated on leadership and education as I can so that I can be the best leader for whoever the learner may be."
Kayla, you are right where you are supposed to be, in education. Your passion is just what our children need!
ReplyDeleteKayla! Omg! It IS a small world! How funny! Ah!!!! I'm freaking out right now, haha! I'm so glad you found me! Good luck with your future endeavors! MC would be lucky to have you! :) Please keep in touch! :)
ReplyDelete